Visiting Scholar Fellowships
The Postcolonial Hierarchies in Peace and Conflict Network offers a small number of funded Visiting Researcher Fellowships for Short- and Long-term stays at the Postcolonial Hierarchies partner Institutions (Universität Marburg; Arnold-Bergstraesser-Institut; Universität Erfurt; Universität Bayreuth).
The Visiting Scholar Fellowship Scheme aims to enrich the Project’s research culture, and to encourage a dialogue and exchange of experience between scholars from around the world. It also aims to provide resources (library use, online databases and journals, access to research-related events, training possibilities) to amplify the voices of scholars outside of Western Europe and North America.
We welcome applications from early career researchers (including PhD researchers and postdoctoral candidates), mid and senior level academics from various disciplines who work within the themes of Peace & Conflict Studies, and who are interested in postcolonial and decolonial approaches.
Visiting Scholar Fellowships
- Short-term: Short-term stays are typically for 1 to 2 weeks at one of the Project’s partner institutions.
- Long-term: Long-term stays are typically for 4 to 6 weeks at one of the Project’s partner institutions.
Both Short-term (€ 1830) and long-term (€ 4500) fellows will have expenses paid (travel to and from Germany, visa costs, accommodation, meals, etc.) for the period of the fellowships (length of fellowship to be agreed upon by both Fellows and Institutions). The host institution will provide support for visa applications (invitation letters, hosting agreements) to facilitate visa application process.
During the stay, we anticipate that the Visiting Fellows will contribute to the following activities of the Network:
- Present their research to the Project participants and other interested members of the University community;
- Contribute to the Project’s Virtual Encyclopaedia;
- Engage in discussions regarding the Project’s key themes with project members.
- Research experience in Peace & Conflict Studies (broadly conceived).
- Demonstrable interest in postcolonial and/or decolonial approaches.
- Demonstrated publication record commensurate to the experience.
- Demonstrated interest in the Network’s activities and research agenda.
- Availability for in-person stay at one of the Project host institutions.
- Fluency in English (German language is not required).
- Connection of the applicant’s research to one of the Work Packages (see the Project’s website for more).
*We strongly encourage early-career scholars either currently or recently based in African, Latin American, or Asian institutions to apply.
Please email fellowship coordinator adam.sandor[at]uni-bayreuth.de to inquire further about the application process.
We aim to support the researchers who would otherwise not have the opportunity to conduct the research by providing them the space, time, and resources. We, therefore, encourage the applicants in their applications to explain how they will benefit from the fellowship.
The following host institutions plan on hosting Long-term Fellows for the following years throughout the duration of the project:
2022-2023: Universität Erfurt
2023-2024: ABI Freiburg
2024-2025: Universität Bayreuth
2025-2026: Universität Marburg